Either side of the road from Beverley to York, just outside the former, is common land, the Westwood, still used for the grazing of kine. A number of windmills once stood on this common land, and there are remains of three - Union Mill, Westwood Mill, and Black Mill.
Black Mill stands atop the highest point of the common, virtually in its centre. The cap and sails were removed when the mill closed in 1868. It provides though a fine foil to Beverley Minster, which peeks over the horizon.