07 June 2013
Whalley - Modern
The Whalley Viaduct, of 49 arches, is the longest railway viaduct in Lancashire, 2,034 feet long and 70 feet above the River Calder. It was built between 1846 and 1850 for the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway. The engineer, Terrence Wolfe Flanagan, filled the two arches closest to nearby Whalley Abbey with brick screens decorated in Gothic style. The viaduct contains over seven million bricks, and over 16,000 cubic yards of stone.