18 March 2013

Joule's Energy

The pale ale that later became Joule's was first brewed by Augustinian monks, in Stone, Staffordshire, from the twelfth century, each barrel 'blessed' and marked with a cross. Joule's later adopted the priory's recipe, and registered the red cross as a trademark - the sixth oldest beer mark in the world. The mark is still used, as it was in use prior to the symbol's adoption by the International Red Cross. (The first trademark registered in Britain was the Bass red triangle, in 1876; the second the Bass red diamond.)

The first Joule-named brewery was in Salford, from the mid-1700s, the second in Stone, from 1779. Bass Charrington acquired Joule's in the early 1970s, demolished the brewery, and dropped the brand. 36 years later, a new Joule's was reformed, the independent buying the brand, brewing notes and methods, and yeast, of the original Joule's from Molson Coors, owners of Bass and its various brands.

The new brewery was built next to the Red Lion, a Market Drayton pub of the 16th century. It draws its water from the Market Drayton aquifer, the same as was used by the Stone brewery. There are three beers - Blonde, the original Joule's Pale Ale, and Slumbering Monk, named for a feature of the panelling that graces part of the brewery tap. This was carved by Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson, and came from the Bradford boardroom of Grattan's, where it had been installed in 1931.

No comments: