12 May 2010

Northampton & Lamport Railway

George Stephenson designed the 18 mile Northampton to Market Harborough branch line, complete with six stations and two long tunnels, which opened in 1859. The line closed in 1981, but just three years later railway enthusiasts started work to bring it back to life. Progress is inevitably slow: the line was officially reopened in 1996 and runs on just a couple of miles of track. Some lovely old crates in the goods yard.

No comments: